World Labyrinth Day
Celebrate the sixth annual World Labyrinth Day (WLD) on Saturday, May 3rd, 2014! The Labyrinth Society invites you to ‘Walk as One at 1" in the afternoon, joining others around the globe to create a wave of peaceful energy washing across the time zones.
For those new to labyrinths, find one (or dozens!) in your area using the World Wide Labyrinth Locator. You can also learn to draw or build a simple labyrinth with links in our resources section below.
Members of the Labyrinth Society are encouraged to facilitate group walks at public labyrinths to engage the community and amplify our collective energy. World Labyrinth Day is also a great opportunity to introduce others to the path by organizing lectures, workshops, tours, book readings, art exhibitions, or building temporary or permanent labyrinths.
If you are unable to ‘Walk as One at 1’ other opportunities to participate include tracing a finger labyrinth on paper or using a mobile app. Labyrinth walks and events can also be held in the morning or evening, as others will be walking in unison with you in other time zones. Just as there are a wide variety of uses of the labyrinth, creativity and multiplicity are encouraged.
Here are Eleven Ways to Celebrate World Labyrinth Day
- Walk as One at 1 (or as time permits)
- Trace or draw a finger labyrinth on paper or using a smartphone or tablet app
- Facilitate or join a group walk
- Host or join a lecture, workshop, art exhibition or tour
- Build a temporary or permanent labyrinth
- Discover a new labyrinth or submit an unlisted site to the Labyrinth Locator
- Write a blog post, newsletter submission, letter to the editor, or article for print or the internet
- Share and view WLD stories, photos, videos on Social Media using the hashtag #LabyrinthDay
- Read labyrinth books, watch movies, or sing songs
- Create a labyrinth art project, exhibition, or drawing class
- Help spread the word by posting flyers, sharing on social media, and listing your event here
We have just reached 2,000 members in our The Labyrinth Society on Facebook - Events. We hope you will join us there! This is a great resource to promote and share your WLD events, experiences, and stories. Mindful photography is encouraged to help document the variety of people and places connected by this event.
An initiative of The Labyrinth Society, World Labyrinth Day is celebrated every year on the first Saturday in May. This is a day when people all over the world can join together to walk labyrinths for the good of all. In the past, a variety of events were held at over 100 locations worldwide, including the Ellipse in Washington DC, public parks, churches, a maximum-security women’s prison, retreat centers, and many private labyrinths. Countries joining the celebration include: the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, the Bahamas, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand, China, South Africa, Australia, and the list grows every year. The World Wide Labyrinth Locator, an online database, lists over 4000 labyrinths world-wide.
Make a commitment to participate on May 3, 2014 for the sixth annual World Labyrinth Day and join hundreds of people around the globe who will be walking labyrinths.
World Labyrinth Day Resources:
1. Resources for Walk Facilitators
- Download a generic flyer to promote World Labyrinth Day. Distribute as is or print it off and put your own event flier on the back.
- Download a flyer to promote your WLD event. Flier has a space where you can write your event information or print it out on a label and put it in the space provided.
- Download the 2014 Press Release and share it with the local media.
- Post your WLD event to the Events calendar
- Post your WLD event to the Labyrinth Locator
- Participate in labyrinth research
- Apply for Special Project Status
- Share your WLD photos and experiences
- Announce your event on our Facebook Events Page
2. Resources for participants
3. Connect with other labyrinth enthusiasts
- Connect with other members- Members can now sign up for the forums themselves from our Members Only Site. Click on the Member Login at the top of the screen, log in, then click on Forums in the menu.
- Connect with others in your region- Contact your regional rep!
- Join TLS
- Connect with others at the TLS Annual Gathering
- Explore the TLS Labyrinth Market
4. Learn more about labyrinths